Saturday, August 28, 2010

Pay Attention. Buy Local

Day 150

One of the goals of this kindness project is to be kind to the environment. I think I've pretty much mastered picking up trash. But I've fallen a little short when it comes to “buying local” which I know, besides being politically correct, actually does benefit the environment. It is always on my mind as I shop, but often it doesn't seem convenient and can be more costly. I try to go to the local farmer's market on Saturdays, but if I don't get there early enough, there are no eggs left. Last week I did some shopping at a farmer's market in a nearby city and got some of the best fruit and vegetables I have ever tasted. But they were also the most expensive I have ever bought. I absolutely believe buying local is important, but I have not yet figured out a system that works for us. This is one of the reasons I am doing this blog for an entire year, with the hope that the commitment will create some new kinder habits for our family.

Today I was in need of a couple tomatoes as our garden is just about done for the season. However, the day was filled with transporting the kids from one place to another and not much time to go out of the way seeking out a farm stand. It was on my mind though that, when there is a plethora of local produce available, it makes no sense to stop at the grocery store. As I was mid-transport I noticed a small vegetable stand on the side of the road, the kind where you serve yourself and put the money in the coffee can. Tomatoes were a dollar a pound. Local, inexpensive and right on my way.

I realized that I had passed this stand hundreds of times and never noticed it before. Lesson learned? Buying local can be far less complicated than it is in my head. It can be as simple as paying attention.

*********

A last word about Give Flowers to a Stranger Day (until September 27th that is). Your Neighbor in Florida wrote about it her blog today too. Apparently it really is sweeping the nation...

No comments:

Post a Comment