Sunday, August 1, 2010

One Third of the Way

Day 124

Today I am officially one third of the way through this project. Most importantly this means only two thirds of the year to go. The questions I am asked most frequently at this point is “Why are you doing this?” and “Are you getting tired of it yet?”

As for the why, there are several reasons. My husband and I always tell our kids when they ask about religion, or more specifically the lack of it in our lives, that the most important thing that is to be kind to others. This project is an attempt to make sure that kindness is something we do, not just something we say we do. Why do it in the form of a blog? Because there is nothing like making an intention public to help you follow though.

How's it going so far? Well, sometimes I have found it is difficult let go of the notion that a fascinating event involving kindness and strangers is going to happen each and every day. I definitely miscalculated on that one. But in order to survive the next eight months I need to accept that something does not have to be interesting to be blog worthy. And that, although “kindness to a stranger” is a catchy term, sometimes it is OK to include friends and family in those blogable moments.

“What has been the best part of doing this project?” OK, well actually, no one has asked me that question, but I'm going to answer it anyway. When people tell me that they were motivated to be kind in some way because of reading this blog, I LOVE it! It was not my intention to affect anyone's behavior, beyond my own and my family's, but when I hear that there is a ripple beyond cyberspace, it feels awesome, and gives me motivation to keep going.

So what was the kind act to commemorate being one third of the way there? In staying with the “non-fascinating” theme, my husband and son bought a bucket of golf balls at the driving range for the next person. It was at a local golf course whose mission is to provide the opportunity to golf for everyone, regardless of their ability to pay. I'm throwing that last detail in there for those who may believe a golfer who can't afford to golf is an oxymoron.

Four months down, eight to go...

3 comments:

  1. Your blog has certainly gotten me thinking...I really enjoy reading it..and I think you have a wonderful religion...thinking of others...love it!
    clyn..ps when will there be another family guest blogger...I am sure some kindness opportunities can take place at school...looking forward to it..bye clyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started this same project last week. A couple of days into it, I started searching for other kindness blogs and I made my way here. I love what you're doing. I look forward to following you. Maybe I'll get some good ideas to use in South Florida. http://deliberate-acts-of-kindness.blogspot.com/

    Kind Regards,
    Your Neighbor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hey Hey!
    What a cool gift to receive a blog contribution from a blogger in S. FL and see that when I linked into "I'm Your Neighbor's" site, I saw YOUR blog listed!

    To S. FL: Please know that this New England blogger is one to follow, for sure! She has made a commitment, is sticking to it, and honestly causing a ripple effect!

    To Betsy: Congrats on completing 4 months! You and your family have done a great deal in that time. Creativity begets creativity! I don't think the next 8 months will be as challenging as the first 4. Let's see!

    Carry on!
    SS

    ReplyDelete