Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Not Too Foo Foo For Me

Day 126

Recently I put out a plea for blog ideas and I received some great suggestions. My cousin's idea involved putting a little money in an envelope and leaving it for someone to discover, with a note saying that it was a “pocket full of sunshine.” The thought being that the finder would put their pocket and use it to do something nice for themselves.

At first I cringed a bit. Not at the idea, which I thought was fabulous, but the term “pocket full of sunshine” part. For lack of a better term it just seemed too “foo-foo,” for me. It’s not really my personality to go around giving sunshine away. I’m more the pull weeds and pick up trash kind of gal.

But then I thought about my cousin who suggested it. It is an understatement to describe her as an amazing woman. She is a phenomenal harp player, and I can certainly see one associating that with beautiful sunshine. But she is also a fire fighter and a paramedic in a one of the tougher urban areas in the country. And a marathon runner. So, if the phrase “pocket full of sunshine” isn’t too foo-foo for her, it certainly can’t be for me.

So I did it. I left an envelope with 5 dollars by the bus stop near my office, complete with a note instructing the finder use it for a treat and yes, to consider it a pocket full of sunshine.

1 comment: