Friday, August 27, 2010

It's Sweeping the Nation!

Day 149

Another successful Give Flowers to a Stranger Day. I bought the flowers first thing in the morning, not sure who the recipient would be. On my way home from work I stopped at the grocery store and looked around the parking lot for someone who seemed like they might appreciate them. My kids had told me NOT to give them to a man, worried that it would send the wrong message. I'm so glad they are monitoring such things. I chose a woman who looked to be in her late sixties, loading her bags in the trunk. My reasoning behind this was that she was done with her shopping and I was beginning, so could walk by, hand her the flowers and keep going. Because as excited as I am about this holiday, it still feels quite awkward to do the deed.

She smiled and said thank you, and was clearly pleased. But she did not seem at all surprised when I said I was giving flowers to someone I didn't know today. This could mean one of two things. Possibly I caught her off guard, and didn't leave her time to respond. Or, maybe, just maybe, she KNEW it was GFTAS Day and therefore, she was not surprised at all. Perhaps she was expecting a stranger to give her flowers.

I do know this, J. knew about it and celebrated in her part of the country. You can read about it on her blog. And her experience was eerily similar to mine. Grocery store parking lot. No men allowed. Awkward feelings. Seemingly unsurprised, yet happy recipient. Freaky. I don't know what it all means, but I've got to believe that the holiday is sweeping the nation.

2 comments:

  1. Happy GFTAS Day! We observed this holiday for the first time. It really is sweeping the nation. I think you're on to something.

    http://deliberate-acts-of-kindness.blogspot.com/2010/08/give-flowers-to-stranger-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- it is strange that our stories for GFTAS Day ended up being so alike! I love this new holiday and will definitely be celebrating it with you every month from now on! If it isn't well known yet- it will be soon! :o)

    ReplyDelete