Friday, October 8, 2010

Fortunately, It's Not The Thought That Counts

Day 192

On Fridays I try to always make sure I am home from work before the kids got back from school. I left my office in plenty of time and stopped at the grocery store up the street to pick up a couple of things. It was then I realized I had left my wallet on my desk. I went back to get it, still with time to spare. One more stop before I hit the highway during which I ran into an old neighbor whom I hadn't seen in over 10 years. It was fun to catch up, and by the time we said goodbye my cushion of spare time had shrunk dramatically. As I got in the car and started heading home, I realized that my commitment to kindness was going to be tested.

A traffic back up getting on to the highway. People trying to merge in seemingly everywhere. “Surely if I let anyone in ahead of me I wouldn't make it home it time. And shouldn't my first commitment to kindness be to my family?” This was the thought running through my head, only with some swears thrown in and at a loud volume. However the competing argument, also in my head, that I was not going to get me home that much quicker if I didn't let anyone merge. Realistically, perhaps 30 seconds for one person, a minute for a couple. And I wasn't late yet. The kinder me prevailed.

Got past the back up, onto the highway only to run into construction. The road work usually stops around rush hour, but since I was trying to get home early, bam I was right in it. More lane merging, more need to be kind to other drivers. I am proud to say that I was and that I made it home 10 minutes before the boys.

And I am grateful that in this case it is the action, NOT the thought that counts, because it was a long commute filled with very unkind ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment