Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Second Place for Kindness

Day 196

When my two boys were younger, I was quite certain that they were the cutest babies that ever lived. I know other people thought THEIR kids were the cutest, but mine really were. While out to dinner tonight, my husband and I noticed a couple at the next table with their baby boy. He looked to be around a year or so. And the mom and dad were looking at him with beaming smiles on their faces as if they were sure that HE was the cutest baby that ever lived. Truth be told, he was kind of adorable.

I told my husband that I was going to stop by the table on our way out and tell the couple what a handsome well-behaved little guy they had. Usually quite supportive of my daily acts of kindness, this time my husband's support came in the form of making sure to walk five steps ahead of me, as he thought this one was a bit embarrassing. Undeterred, I followed through with my plan and the smiles on the parents' faces grew bigger and prouder. And the kindest act of all, I didn't tell them the total truth; that their baby was only the second cutest that every lived, that the number one spot was already occupied by a two way tie.

No comments:

Post a Comment