Monday, October 4, 2010

Still Learning

Day 188

In the absence of any original ideas today, this afternoon I resorted to the old “buy a coffee for the next person who comes in” trick. I asked that the cashier wait until I left before giving it to someone. As I was waiting for my drink a friend and colleague came into the coffee shop. Apparently she also too needs a little caffeine to get past the 4 o'clock hour. We talked for a few minutes and said goodbye.

Now this particular friend is part of a very small and exclusive group; she follows my blog regularly. It occurred to me that, had I walked out just a minute earlier, she would have been the recipient of my act of kindness. And had that happened, she might have guessed the origin of the gift. Truth be told, I was a little disappointed. It would have been fun for her to receive it, and I would have had a blast writing about it.

I called her to tell her about the near miss, and how I wished she had gotten the surprise. She said that she was glad she didn't, because then we wouldn't have seen each other. Which was a really, really nice thing to say. Thus teaching this self proclaimed kindness queen a thing or two about the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment