Thursday, October 28, 2010

Kind of Lost

Day 212

Today's act was being kind in face of stress. I was dropping off my son of at his friend's house after school and I realized I had left my written directions at home. I had been there once about a year ago, but it was a pretty fuzzy memory. On top of that there was major construction happening and is seemed like there was a detour at every turn. I stopped to ask directions no less than six times. Twice from police officers, twice from landscape guys and twice from people walking. And not one person had heard of the street I was looking for.

There are several ways I could go with this story. One would be to focus on my poor sense of direction. Two might be why didn't I remember to bring what I had written down. But I am going with the effort that I made to be polite and thank every person who could not help me. Despite the incredible urge to cry by the fifth and sixth stop, I tried to be as pleasant as possible and resist yelling at the policeman "How can work in this town not know where every street is? What if you got called to a robbery there?"

I'm proud to say although I lost my way, I didn't lose my commitment to kindness.

And I even eventually delivered my son successfully, with the help of a phone call to his friends dad who guided me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment