Friday, October 29, 2010

Keeping Going

Day 213

Today I wrote thank you cards for my son's soccer coaches, and included a small gift card in each one, as tomorrow is the last day of the season. I made sure to tell them how much we appreciated all the time and effort they put in on behalf of our son and the other boys. I also sent a sympathy card to my colleague whose mom passed away this week.

These are not extraordinary acts of kindness by any stretch. Really they are just doing the right thing. I have received much positive feedback about this blog, and it is embarrassing how many people comment how kind I am. I've said it before, and probably will again, that I'm really no kinder than the next person. My commitment to the project is designed to help keep me on the kind track. Much of what I write about is what many of us intend to do, and sometimes never quite get around to it. That is certainly the case for me. If I have to write each night, there is more pressure to “do the right thing.”

I've been asked occasionally whatis my plan when the year is up? Will my daily acts of kindness continue? It is absolutely my intention to do so. But I'm not sure I can keep up the discipline of writing every day. And without that, will my good deeds become good intentions without the follow through? I will continue to strive to make my year of living kindly into a lifetime of the same, but I'm counting on the next 153 days to help me figure out just how to make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment