Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Nickel Saved Is Kindness Earned

Day 189

On my way to work this morning I stopped to get some muffins for the staff meeting (an assortment of blueberry, chocolate chip, and New England crumb, in case you are wondering). There was a man ahead of me in line and his order came to $4.05. The cashier asked if he had any change, which he did not. So she took the last coin, a nickel, from the change dish next to the register (the leave a penny take a penny kind) and gave him his change in bills.

My turn, and I didn't have any change either. I paid in bills and received my handful of coins back, then put a nickel back in the dish so it was no longer empty. I think as far as acts of kindness go, this was one of my smallest gestures to date. But what I received back was a wonderful reaction from the cashier, seemingly disproportionate to the size of my action. She gave a huge smile and thanked me as if I had dropped a in a $10 bill. I'm not exactly sure why, but I'm going with the simple theory that kindness just makes people feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment