Friday, October 1, 2010

Kindness Can't Compete With Number One

Day 185

I'm making an exception of my rule not to count kindness to my family as blog worthy, just because it was so much fun to be kind to my son today. The older one is sleeping over at a friend's house this evening so it was just the three of us at home for an exciting Friday night.

Having two boys so close in age (they are 14 months apart), it often seems that life is a compromise. Or, a constant game of Let's Make a Deal. “We'll watch a half hour of “Deadliest Catch” Number 1 and then “Animal Planet” Number 2. “You can go first this time, and your brother will be first next.” And I won't even try to describe the negotiations around video games.

Tonight it was all about Number 2. First was his favorite foods. I stopped at the seafood store on the way home, the same one I wrote about a couple days ago (Kind of Fishy). I picked up some steamers (that's steamed clams, for those not from these parts) and prepared a delicious and nutritious dinner of clams and macaroni and cheese. OK, well maybe not nutritious but it certainly was his idea of a well balanced meal. We retired from the dinner table to watch America's Funniest Home Videos (and this was exceptionally kind of me since I can't stand that show) and then finished up with competitive bowling and biking, wii style.

When he went to bed, he said it was a fun night, but he couldn't wait to see his brother tomorrow. I guess there is no question that all you can eat clams and mac n cheese just can't compete with a life of compromise and negotiations with your best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment