Thursday, October 7, 2010

Kind of Chatty

Day 191

My goal today was to be kind to a stranger. I realize that's sort of the point of this whole thing, and is even the title of the blog. But I have become quite liberal with that, sometimes even resorting to being kind to people I actually know. So I thought todar I would get back to my “roots” so to speak.

I left work around 4, and had yet to come across the opportunity I was looking for. On my way home I stopped at a party store to pick up some items needed for a Halloween event we are having on the 23rd. It is family tradition we do every year, a party in the woods with a bonfire and various ghosts and goblins. We ask our guests to contribute to a charity of our sons' choosing; this year it will benefit the effort to rebuild Haiti. So there you have it, a preview of my October 23rd blog entry.

So as I was checking out with my skull shaped pinata, I realized the cashier was the last stranger I would see today; it was now or never. There was some loud party music playing, the Electric Slide, and I imagined thatit might be irritating for the the 20something woman who was at the register. I asked if it was difficult to listen to all day and and she smiled and said very much so. But she added after working there for a year, she had gotten used to it. I thanked her and that was pretty much the total of our exchange.

I am not, by nature, a chatty person. But my commitment to kindness helps serve to help remind me that stretching past my comfort zone in order acknowledge someone beyond a basic please and thank you is the kind thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment