Thursday, October 14, 2010

With A Little Help From My Friends

Day 198

A friend at work today forwarded me an email with the subject line “an easy act of kindness.” And it just so happened I was in need of just such a thing today.

It was from a group that is working to rebuild Haiti, with pictures and a description of some what they have done there so far. The email asked that the recipient send along an email of encouragement, letting the workers know what they are doing is recognized and appreciated. It was a click on link so it could not have been any easier. Now, I must admit I did feel a bit of suspicion when I looked at the request. While this is a well-respected organization we have supported in the past and will continue to in the future, I found it hard to believe all they want from me (and everyone else who got the email) was support and kind words for the folks doing the work. I can't imagine it will not somehow lead to a request for another donation. But I also wonder how many acts of kindness I have NOT committed over the years because of skepticism, healthy or otherwise.

In the end, I filed it in my brain under the “what do I have to lose” category, and sent along a sincere, heartfelt email thanking them for the truly incredible work they are doing in a place so desperate for help. And I absolutely felt grateful for the opportunity to do so. Thanks for the idea P!

No comments:

Post a Comment