Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"No, Really, After You

Day 218

I got my new driver's license today. In this state, you can do this at Triple AAA, which is light years ahead of getting it at the DMV. When I arrived there were only four people ahead of me in line, as opposed to the last time I went to the DMV when I took a number and the estimated wait time was three and half hours. So when the man came in behind me and started muttering rather loudly about having to wait in line, I thought to myself, are you kidding me? But what I said aloud was “I'm not in a rush if you would like to go ahead of me.”

His demeanor instantly changed from agitated and grouchy to quite pleasant and a little sheepish. He said “Oh no, I'm not really in that big of hurry, I need to learn to be more patient.” We talked a bit about the the merits of Triple AAA serving as a branch of the DMV, and how the line always seems to go quickly. So quickly in fact that after chatting for about two minutes it was my turn at the head of the line.

I always hope that my attempts at kindness will have a positive effect on the recipients, but more often than not, I have no way of knowing. Every once in a while it's fun to experience the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment