Sunday, November 7, 2010

Big Tree Small Act

Day 222

We have a family tradition that every year about this time, my husband and the boys go to a particular Christmas tree farm to pick out a tree. I do not join them for this trip for the simple reason that they consider me a stick in the mud who who will prevent them from picking out a tree that is clearly too large for our house. Which is true. So every year they go without me, and I maintain the tradition of complaining that the tree is too big (which it always is).

They also come home each time enthusiastic about how nice the couple is who runs the farm. These folks always make sure their customers have a warm and fun experience. So today when the boys decided to go tree hunting, I put together a small plate of cookies and a note to the couple thanking them for making it such a special outing every year for my family.

This year, the boys did have to break with tradition and bring me along because we had some errands to do after. I agreed to stay in the car and not participate in the tree choosing. I also promised not to peek at what they chose (but I did and it's a mammoth one that will never fit in the house). My husband came to get me, and told me that that the woman running the place insisted on meeting me. I walked up to the stand and she immediately came around to hug and thank me for the card and cookies. She clearly was quite touched. She also said she was happy to see me because every year when my trio showed up, she wondered if there was a mom in the family. I explained the reason for my absence and she acknowledged that my boys sure do like to pick large trees.

Often lately my “acts of kindness” are motivated by commitment to having something to write about every day here. Today was a nice and simple reminder that the real reason for follow through is, well, to be kind. And more often then not, that makes folks feel good.

1 comment:

  1. ... and YOU got a HUG, to boot!
    I like this post for oh so many reasons! I have a picture in my mind of this woman who gave you a hug and I love her for it! Kindness abounds!
    Carry on, kind blogger!
    SS

    ReplyDelete