Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Good Intentions

Day 217

When I got to work today I noticed that the kitchen was messier than usual. Most of the time I would throw my lunch in the fridge and keep on going. It's not that I don't want be helpful. Often I (like many other folks) am preoccupied with my thoughts, so I don't even notice. Besides that, the messy work kitchen was still cleaner than mine at home, which is another reason it doesn't occur to me that there is a need for tidying. But today I did see there was some spiffing up to be done so before I even went to my desk I washed the dishes in the sink, emptied the garbage and scrubbed the waste basket with soap and water. Feeling like I had done my part, and perhaps even my kind deed for the day, I proceeded to my desk and turned on my computer. Awaiting me was an email from the office manger with the reminder that it was my department's turn this month to make sure that the kitchen was kept clean.

There went those kindness points...

Then I thought it would be nice for me to make coffee for my co-workers in the Coffee Club. I had already had a cup at home and one on my way into work, so I wasn't planning on drinking anymore. But wouldn't it be kind to make some for everyone else. I went to the kitchen and filled the carafe with water (which was easy to do since there were no longer any dirty dishes in the sink), returned to the coffee pot only to find that my very kind co-worker had it all set up before she left yesterday. All I had to do was turn it on. Drat, trumped by one of those people who are kind without even trying.

To summarize, the kitchen is clean, the coffee was brewed, and I have nothing to report today but my good intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment