Monday, November 29, 2010

Kindness Shines Through

Day 244

I ran to the mall during my lunch time today for a quick errand. I was in quite a rush trying to minimize my absence from the office (translated-before anyone noticed I was missing). When I passed one of the kiosks and a man offered me a perfume sample I was tempted to keep going and wave him off. But I thought to myself, how much time will it take? So I veered over to accept the sample. He then pulled out a nail buffer, seemingly from nowhere and said “Can I show you something amazing ma'am?” I'm not sure if this was an act of kindness or a lack of assertiveness, but it did run through my mind “he is just doing his job, and this can't possibly be his first choice of employment.”

I said, “sure but I am not going to buy anything.” I then spent about a minute (although it seemed much longer) getting my thumb nailed buffed to an amazing shine, with the assurance that it would last for a month. I thanked him and he said I was a “nice lady” and I was on my way.

And here I sit admiring my one lustrous fingernail, while the nine dull ones protest that the kinder act would have been to buy the buffer and promote equality among them all.

3 comments:

  1. This one made me laugh. It's hard to turn down a request like that-- "Can I show you something amazing ma'am?" Seriously. Who doesn't want to be amazed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm . . . one of those guys accosted me in the Prudential recently. He was selling a product package for about $35. You can get the same kind of buffer in Target to finish off the other nine nails for about two dollars. The money you save will buy a lot of peanut butter for the food bank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day I too was urged over to buy some "beauty product" for the skin (I don't wear any make up etc but I do have very dry skin. Sometimes I wonder if I missed some boat b/c I don't buy "products")... I always try to make a bee-line past but this time I decided, because I made eye contact and smiled politely, that I'd given some boost to the seller's invitation. I succumbed after a demonstration of a Dead Sea salt rub which left my hand(only one) feeling very smooth. I used the expensive stuff one more time and after several years on the shelf, I recently sent the Dead Sea Salt to the garbage. I do think there's something to letting the sellers sell. I also think I know why I avoid -- because I am SURE I'll end up with something I neither need nor want. Just thought I'd share a similar story. Happy nail buffing!
    SS

    ReplyDelete