Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Selling Soda, Pizza and Kindness

Day 238

I attended a meeting tonight for the committee to organize the concession sales for the town recreational basketball league. Usually when I get the call to volunteer selling food at sporting events (which is sport parent tradition apparently) I agree grudgingly. Youth sports are not usually a bastion of kindness, and I get my hackles up easily and frequently when I hear parents and or coaches yelling at the kids. So I try to keep my distance.

But the man who is running the basketball league this year was my son's soccer coach and is an example of just what youth sports should be (in my opinion). He values fun and learning, and makes sure that both are incorporated into his coaching. He gives constructive feedback and never fails to say “good job” to the kids. So when he asked for help it seemed it was time for me to stop complaining and be part of the solution.

Popcorn, peanuts, crackerjacks anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment