Saturday, November 27, 2010

Flowers and Bells

Day 242

Today we were ringing the bell for the Salvation Army Kettle campaign. My husband and older son took the first hour and my younger son and I covered the second hour. We entertained ourselves by trying to quietly guess who would put money in the kettle and who would pass us by. We also tried to decide just who should get the poinsettia plant that we had brought along since today is, of course, GFTASD.

Three times we made our selection and I chickened out. Because the absolute truth is, it feels a bit awkward to give flowers to a stranger. For those of you contemplating celebrating this holiday at some point, please know that it is not always easy do the actual act. I'm not sure why exactly that is. Perhaps it is just too far from the norm of one's everyday routine. Or flat out bashfulness about approaching strangers, however well intended one is.

We finally followed through with our decision when a woman came by with her young daughter, who looked to be around four or five. The woman said she didn't have any change, but she stopped to dig around in her purse because she wanted to give her daughter something to put in the kettle. As she was scrounging my son looked and me, raised his eyebrows and motioned his head towards the flowers. I could take a hint.

After the girl put the money in, I handed her the plant and informed her that it was Give Flowers to a Stranger Day. She looked happy and smiled, and both she and her mom said thank you. It almost seemed like they had heard of this festive day. Perhaps the word is getting out....

********
New to this blog? Have NO idea what GFTASD is? It happens the 27th of every month. Read last month's entry for a history of this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment