Saturday, February 26, 2011

Bagging Kindness

Day 329

“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” Aesop

I saw this quote on a reusable grocery bag today, on sale for a dollar. I said to my younger son who was with me “Don't you think that is some sort of sign that we should buy that bag and do something kind with it?” “No” he replied, rather emphatically. “Are you worried I'll embarrass you?” I asked. “Yes” he replied, equally emphatically.

Not to be deterred by his lack of enthusiasm and fear of humiliation, I purchased the bag and asked him to write a note to go along with it. I promised I would not involve him in the actual delivery of the act of kindness. The note read “This bag is for you. Just consider it a random act of kindness.” I couldn't have said it better myself.

On our way out after paying for our groceries, I quietly gave the bag and note to the young woman bagging, and asked her to please give it to the next person who came through. We made a clean getaway and never looked back.

4 comments:

  1. I liked the fact that you donated the bag anonymously. I have found that many people are too embarrassed, suspicious, or proud to accept a gift of kindness from strangers for any number of reasons. Doing something anonymously, such as what you did, is in itself, another gift of kindness. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny...I can just picture you both making a clean and fast get away...such great learning for the boys....bye for now
    clyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the times when kindness peaks its little head out and presents itself to you :)

    ReplyDelete