Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Gotcha!

Day 326

We're an adoptive family, so every year we celebrate each day we “got” our boys. Today, February 23rd is my older son's “Gotcha Day” so he picked the restaurant. The four of us went out, along with my brother and my niece, and my older son was happy there were no restrictions on what he orderd, being his day all. Steak it was.

Unfortunately, it was really lousy steak with no real flavor. And no one else was happy with their meal either. Except for my younger son, who could not have been more thrilled with his macaroni and cheese. It was nice and orange, just the way he likes it.

But the waiter was helpful and friendly, and kept the soda coming (another parental concession to Gotcha Day). So when the question was posed by my son, can't we complain about the food ,the adults pondered this. We all came to the conclusion; it was really the matter of a not very good chef. And complaining wouldn't really change that. And I reminded my son that the point of of our evening out was to celebrate that we were all together as a family, tasteless steak or no.

We thanked the waiter, said everything was fine when he asked, and left a nice tip. Sometimes kindness simply means appreciating the intended effort. I wonder however if by not saying something were we being kind to the future diners of this restaurant?

1 comment:

  1. That is funny....You guys have such great traditions!!!!! And that is the point I guess the tradition of family rituals is the point...bye for now
    clyn

    ReplyDelete