Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Kind Witches

It would be quite difficult to write about an act of kindness I committed today that would match the kindness I have received from friends. My husband's recent fall has temporarily turned our lives if not upside down, at the very least, sideways. Having one less driver (both our cars are stick shifts, requiring two hands to drive) is presenting a number of challenges as well as is having one less hand. Add to this the logistics and stress of an impending surgery (to put a pin in that broken elbow) and the challenges multiply.

The offers of help and concern for my husband have really meant a lot. I retrieved my car after it spent three days at the hospital with the assistance of my friend and she even stayed to work at chipping away the ice on the windshield. On top of that, she made us dinner to boot. How did she know that we had eaten pasta for dinner three nights straight and it was on the menu for the foreseeable future?

My husband's colleague has met us part way each morning at 6:15 to transport him and the boys to work and school. Other friends have been quick to offer rides and any assistance we might need. And a couple brave souls have even offered to lend us their car so my husband could drive with his good arm (although the doctor was firmly opposed to this idea).

I did the best I could today with my commitment and as we were leaving the doctor's office with what seemed like an armful of instructions, appointments and ace bandages, I thanked the staff and commented how each and every person we had dealt with was incredibly helpful and pleasant. One woman smiled and pointed to the sign on the wall which ironically said “The witch is in today,” which seemed to prove they were helpful, pleasant, AND had a good sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment