Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Pink and Maroon Kindness Brigade

Day 320

I was waiting for my husband to get out of surgery and I knew it would be be a while when the doctor explained that, in order to put the elbow back together, he would need to install a metal plate and “remove all the crumbly bits.” So I thought it best to utilize my time with an act of kindness.

I went to the hospital gift shop and bought a bottle of body lotion that smelled something like roses. Now, I'm not a flowery smelling lotion type of gal but when I used to visit my aunt in a nursing home years ago, she loved of this kind of thing. I went to the front desk to ask what the best way was to get it to a patient in the hospital who may not have any visitors to bring gifts. They directed me to the volunteer office and when I went in I was greeted by a room full of pink and maroon smocked mostly senior citizens, waiting for the assignments for the morning. I explained my quest and the woman at the desk promised to make sure the lotion was delivered.

After, when I was back in the waiting room, I noticed the smocked seniors everywhere. Delivering punch to those of us who were waiting, insuring patients and family members were getting where they needed to be, being “gophers” for the hospital staff. Here I was, with my mission to complete one act of kindness a day, and here they were, their mission to be kind all day, every day.

I didn't accept the punch, but my husband was most grateful for the good natured gentleman in the maroon smock who pushed him in the wheel chair from the post op room right to our car. And I was reminded that being kind is much more than just an act a day, it's way of being.

No comments:

Post a Comment