Thursday, February 10, 2011

Kind Is Not Always Wise

Day 314

I was in a rush trying to get out the door at work today. I needed to pick up my husband and boys and get them to a doctor's appointment and I was cutting the commute time pretty close. As I was leaving, an elderly couple was getting out of their car to come into the building. In order to do so from the side walk they needed to cross a patch of ice about two feet wide. I asked them to wait, and I ran to my car to get some sand. Even with that, it looked like a treacherous crossing for two people with canes.

The woman went across, but her husband was more tentative. His wife shouted at him just go, there was nothing to be fearful of. I offered my assistance and he accepted. It was a slow, difficult and frightening journey for him over that two feet and it didn't help that his wife continued to berate him for being afraid. He made it across and was clearly grateful for my help.

I walked away with mixed feelings. I was glad I was there to assist, but also realized he very easily could have fallen even with my hand and my shoulder to lean on. His instincts were absolutely on target that this was too dangerous, and I couldn't help feeling that I had put him at a huge risk for a fall. Although he most likely would have done it with or without me.

I know my actions and intentions were kind, I'm just not sure if they were wise.

2 comments:

  1. I really think this is a book....think seriously about this
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a heightened sense of the realities associated with falls, ice, sand, salt, time management, fixing dinner, getting to and from...
    Hang in there and thanks for helping this couple. Luckily all, including you, were able to safely traverse the ice.
    Whew!
    Oh, and I agree that a book might be in order here.

    SS

    ReplyDelete