Sunday, March 20, 2011

Be Kind To The Environment In March, And Hopefully August Too

Day 351

I started seeds for my vegetable garden today.  It was a combination of spring fever and a commitment that I'm trying to make to purchase less produce that is not locally grown.  So what better way to eat local than to grow it myself.  We usually have a garden every year, so this isn't a totally new concept for my family.  But it is usually a haphazard one, overrun by weeds before the season  is half over.  And this is the first year we are starting the seeds ahead of time.  The hope is that this will extend our growing season and enable us to have some extra veggies for the freezer.  We started lots of broccoli plants as that is family favorite (everyone except me, but who am I not to encourage my kids to eat broccoli).  The plan is to try to stretch that crop so we are still eating it in the fall.

But alas I do realize  the plan for a garden when there is still a trace of snow on the ground and the thought of weeding in the hot sun is actually appealing might not play out as romantically in reality in August as it does in my head in March.  But for now I can aspire to be kind to the environment and say loud and proud, eat local!

1 comment:

  1. Barbara Kingsolver would salute you!
    Go Garden!

    SS

    ReplyDelete