Sunday, March 27, 2011

The March Madness of Giving Flowers to a Stranger

I started my day knowing exactly how I was going to celebrate Give Flowers to a Stranger Day. We were planning to go out to breakfast after my boys' soccer game, which was at 7 AM. How unkind is THAT to have a game scheduled at that time on a Sunday morning? The plan was to leave the flowers, pink Gerber Daisies, somewhere in the restaurant.

The boys' team won the first game which meant they had another game at 8:00 AM, as today was the playoffs. If they won that game, then they had another one at 9:30. Now this could have meant a couple of things. I wouldn't have breakfast until closer to lunch time. Or we would give up the going out to breakfast idea altogether and just go home, forcing me to come up with a plan B for GFTSD. So I did something unkind; I hoped they would lose. Unfortunately for the team my hopes came true but at least I was kind enough to ACT disappointed.

By 9 AM the breakfast place was busy and I had to be super sneaky to get the flowers somewhere without being seen.  I put them on a table near us as a family was leaving, but before the staff swooped in to clean. The bus boy, a totally adorable a teenager, found them and showed them to the waitress along with the note I had written telling the finder to enjoy the flowers and consider it a random act of kindness. She looked around shocked, not in good way, and said rather loudly “Who gave permission to do this?” Not quite the response I was hoping for, and I got very busy looking at the menu so I wouldn't be accused of committing such an offense. She walked away and left the boy to clean the table. Apparently undeterred by his co-worker's outrage, the young man quickly took the flowers and with a smile, carefully placed them for someone else to find behind the counter near where the waitresses picked up the orders.

We didn't get to see who discovered them but it was just as much fun to see the bus boy enjoy taking part in what I can only assume was his first GFTSD.

**********
Continuing with the top 10 reasons I am glad I did this blog, in no particular order, Number 8

The birth of Give Flowers to a Stranger Day. Not only is it fun to celebrate every month, I am incredibly grateful for those who have participated. Giving flowers to a stranger is rewarding but actually can be more difficult than it seems; it's just not something one does in the course of their daily routine. Despite this, many people celebrated along with me. Friends, family and readers all over the country all helped make this a genuine holiday for kindness.

And I've had so much fun with it that it will continue in my friend Kim's and my new blog adventure The ABC's of Kindness.

7 comments:

  1. Hello Betsy- I have recently come across your blog and started reading from day 1! I am almost into this year LOL. I wanted to write b/c I love the Give flowers to a stranger concept. Since I started reading I wanted to participate, today was my day. I got a brunch of flowers and am on my way out to dinner and will give them to someone there. U are so right it can be hard at first but I am so excited to be part of the movement. Wish me luck...thanks for a great job, blog and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your kind words and for participating in the holiday. I hope you have fun...Good luck, I'm sure you will do great and someone will be very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Betsy, my pleasure. I gave the flowers to the woman who seated us. She was taken aback but put them including the bow in a vase at the resturant to share with everyone who cames in. Thanksagain...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to reading the ABCs of Kindess Betsy! And thank you for the wonderful example that you have set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim here to say I am looking forward to the ABC's of Kindness!
    Comming Soon to a Blog near you!

    aka
    SS

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don’t understand why it is so rare to find people that give flowers to strangers? I have been doing it for 14 years and no matter where I give them out or who I am giving them to I always get that same response; “It is so rare to see someone do this!” And it kind of bothers me.

    Here is my story;

    Almost 14 years ago I was in university stuck on campus for spring break as I was broke. Two weeks after reading week was over I got my income tax return and it was a sizable one at that! I decided to do something to share my “wealth” so I went out to a local florist and bought 3 dozen red roses. 30 of them were wrapped individually with a note “From your secret admirer!”, the other 6 were in pairs for 3 specific friends. Another dozen was bought to give to the ladies in the mail room at residence with a note “Please put these in random mailboxes, but give some to guys to throw people off the scent!” The reactions and responses were awesome and amazing with only one negative one… It was the best kept secret for 2 months when one of the gals who got 2 roses came up to me, kissed me on the cheek and said “Thank you my secret admirer!” It turns out her aunt owned the flower shop I bought them at. Well for the next few years, off and on, I would go and buy some flowers and give them away. For the last 7 years I have been going out with a dozen roses on occasion asking if anyone would like a flower. Another thing I will do is ask people who are working “Do you mind if I brighten up your workplace?” Either way it goes over very well.

    Three years ago I was in a Starbucks in Winnipeg giving away roses. The woman in line in front of me was blown away and said “YES, I WOULD LOVE A FLOWER!” She then proceeded to ask me, literally 20 questions! How did it start, why do you do it… and so on. The last question she asked me as she pulled a card from her purse was “I’m a reporter, do you mind if I interview you about your hobby?” I did and we did the interview. You can see it here;

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-oaUguaoeQ

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful! I just watched the You Tube. It was fun to be able to see you in action.

    ReplyDelete