Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Put The Phone Down

We went out for pizza tonight with my brother who was visiting from out of town. In the restaurant were a couple candy machines, the kind you put the money in and get a handful of M and M's or jelly beans. While we were waiting for our dinner, I walked over (surreptitiously so my kids wouldn't see me) and placed a couple of quarters on top of the machines.

I was really hoping to see someone find them. At one point a group of three girls came in with an adult. They looked around 9 or 10 and were dressed in soccer gear and seemed to be getting dinner after practice. They were hanging around the candy machines as the adult placed an order. I was sure that one of them would find the money but alas, it wasn't meant to be. They were all too busy checking their cell phones to even look up.

Cell phones are one of my pet peeves. Kids with cell phones are an even bigger pet peeve. And even bigger than that is kids who are clearly to young to have cell phones but have convinced their parents they are necessary in case of an emergency. Pair that with the cell phone use that prevents someone from finding my random act of kindness and you have one pretty cranky kind person.

We left before anyone spotted the coins. I'm sure they were found eventually and perhaps brought a smile to someone's face. And hopefully, that person was not talking on their phone at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment