Thursday, March 31, 2011

Very Special Delivery

Day 362

I got an email yesterday from my niece  K with a kindness request.  She has a friend from Japan whom she shared an apartment with at college for a year several years ago.  They were in contact this week and K received the good news that her friend and her family are safe and well.  The friend mentioned in her email that one thing she really misses about being in this country is my chocolate chip cookies.  I used to send them fairly regularly as part of college care packages.

Well first of all, anyone who holds my cookies in such high regard immediately owns a special place in my heart.  International cookie acclaim  is even better.  And much more importantly, I feel grateful  for the opportunity to do SOMETHING for someone in Japan.  There is such a  pervasive feeling of helplessness reading the news about the crisis day after day and not being able to offer any assistance other than money.

Today I stopped by the post office to begin the investigative work regarding what is involved in sending cookies to Japan.  I learned that it is OK to send food through the mail and that regular post it will take 7 to 10 days to arrive.  Priority delivery is faster but prohibitively expensive.  The conclusion after a discussion during dinner tonight with three of my biggest cookie fans was that, after ten days in the mail they might not be as good as they were remembered, but the cookies would be greatly appreciated none the less.  Next week they will be on their way.

****************
Continuing with the top 10 reasons I am glad I did this blog, in no particular order, Number 3: 

It was fun to feel like I had a secret identity.

1 comment:

  1. Try freezing them first. A friend of mine used to send her daughter cookies overseas and thought doing that really helped keep them fresh.
    Love the idea of you sending your cookies over there!
    Co-worker S

    ReplyDelete