Saturday, March 19, 2011

Feeling Kind of Helpless

Day 350

I saw a collection jar for the recovery effort in Japan at Starbucks today.  I was surprised to see it there because it was clearly put on the counter by the staff and did not appear to be a corporation sanctioned  collection receptacle.  I asked the person at the register about it and she said yes, they just put it there without asking permission from the powers that be because it just seemed so important to do something.  Yet it felt like there was little that could be done from half a world away.

There was a temptation to completely empty out my wallet to donate because she was so accurate that the feeling of wanting to help was so compelling.  But I put in just a few dollars, knowing that it was as much to get rid of this feeling of helplessness in me and the coffee shop employees, as it it was to help the people of Japan.

1 comment:

  1. I really love the whole concept behind your blog, helping a stranger. I'm in an English class right now at Northern Michigan University and we are required to take on a project and blog about it regularly. I'm new to this but I am finding it to be really fun!

    Since I'm majoring in Social Work I decided I should take on Random Acts of Kindness because people don't do enough of it. I love the idea of making other people feel good, or surprising them with these good, unexpected deeds. I know when people do nice and helpful things for me, especially when it's unexpected I feel so good inside!

    It's really great how that one incident with your car made you want to commit yourself by doing this for 1 whole year. In some sense it's probably changed your life. I know my blogging has, it has reconnected me with my grandfather. I'll keep on reading your blog, I find it really interesting!

    ReplyDelete