Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Partners in Kindness

Day 340

Picking up some prescriptions today I noticed there were gift cards for the sale to the right of the register. I bought one for five dollars and asked the person at the register to give it to then next person who looked like they could use a nice surprise in their day. I have done this a number times in the course of this project. The first few times I tried to get out as fast as I could with little explanation about what I was doing. It was a combination of feeling uncomfortable and wanting it to be a truly random act of kindness.

I have "evolved" in my delivery, and when the cashier looked a bit perplexed about my request, I took some time to explain that I was just trying to do something nice for a stranger because it was fun to do. Her appearance changed from confused to interested to happy, and I could tell she was pleased to participate in the plan.

Having partners in kindness really does seem to be more fun.

1 comment: