Friday, March 4, 2011

Take This Coffee. Please.

Day 335

Most of the time I try to commit my acts of kindness quietly without drawing too much attention to myself or the act. But today I needed to name it for what it was.

There was a conference at work and I was sitting at the registration table with a colleague. I had brought her a cup of coffee but she had already gotten one for herself, so there sat the extra large cup of dark roast looking for a home. A woman came to the table to register and asked if there was coffee available. I offered her the homeless cup and explained that it was an extra. “Oh no” she said, “I couldn't do that.” “Really” I replied, “please take it.” She looked a little flustered and offered to pay me for it. I said no, she insisted, and quite frankly I was starting to worry that we were going to have a knock down drag out fight about this. Until I said the magic words.

“Just consider it an act of kindness.”

Her face brightened and said thank you and accepted it with as much enthusiasm as if she had won the grand prize in a lottery. She thanked me at least three more times throughout the day.

I'm not sure why it was difficult for her to receive the coffee as an act of kindness until it was expressly named as such. But I was happy rational heads prevailed, it didn't come to blows and she enjoyed the coffee and the kindness.

3 comments:

  1. Same thing happened to me two weeks ago. I believe that people struggle with a number of issues including pride and that they are afraid that they are then beholding to the giver of the gift. My own mother is very reluctant to accept gifts for this very reason. I am glad that you prevailed over her objections and that she got to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting point. It also made me wonder what I would have done if the situation were reversed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy, there is a little cafe that I like to frequent, and I have been making it a regular custom to anonymously purchase breakfast for one or two of the other customers. Because I always deal directly with one of the waitresses, they never knew who is buying their meal. I have never had anyone decline the gift. All they ever get is my note, delivered to them by the waitress instead of their bill. My note tells them that they are the recipient of a random act of kindness and to have a nice day and to do likewise.

    ReplyDelete