Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Seeds of Kindness

Day 354

One of the goals of this blog project was to provide the motivation for my family to become more involved in volunteer work.  Last spring we started helping out at a local community garden. While my boys weren't as enthusiastic about it as I hoped they would be, they did it with minimal complaint which I considered a success. We've decided to volunteer (actually my husband and I decided, our sons didn't get a vote) again this year and started today by planting seeds which will, with a little luck, turn into plants to donate.

The boys still aren't so eager that they are counting down the days until we report to the community garden for opening day (April 16th) but they sure are looking forward to those seeds popping up. One small step for community service, one giant leap for soon-to-be sprouting vegetable plants.

2 comments:

  1. I just really really like this entry!
    SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. The seeds that you are planting within your young children might take a while to grow, but you WILL reap a harvest some day. My children, now in their late twenties, have only recently told me how the kindness that I had shown to strangers when they were children did have an impact on their lives. They are now following in my footsteps.

    Keep at it, you are doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete