Friday, March 11, 2011

Thinking of Japan

Day 342

We made a donation today to the Red Cross for the recovery effort in Japan. It is impossible to watch the coverage of the devastation and not want to do something to try to help.

This morning as I was watching and reading the news it seemed beyond horrific. But it also seemed so far away and unreal that it didn't touch me in a way I would have expected. Later in the day I saw some film footage of a cars being swept away, and I noticed one was the exact same as our family's car. In that moment the distance seemed to close and the unreal quality to what I was feeling disappeared. That was some one's car, very possibly it belonged to a family just like mine.

It was a reminder that the world is indeed a small place, and that what we all have in common is so much greater than our differences.

1 comment: