Monday, March 14, 2011

Spring Magic

Day 345

Nothing says spring like daffodils, at least around this part of the country. And nothing says spring is never going to get here like raw temperatures and snow flurries in the middle of March. Guess what it was doing today? My attempt to move things along was to buy a bunch of daffodils and leave them for someone to find. It may be magical thinking, but it was definitely worth a shot.

I placed them on the sidewalk with a note outside the karate studio while my sons were in class. The note said “Happy Spring! It may be cold outside but spring is on the way. If you find these, then they are for YOU. Enjoy!” As it turned out a woman in their class found them as she was leaving and she was beyond excited. She went back into the building to show the teacher and the note was passed around. As this was unfolding I whispered to my boys that I was the one who left them. We ended up walking out  at the same time as the finder, and we overheard her saying to her friend, still smiling, “These will look perfect in my room.”

It was tremendous fun for me to be with my boys when this happened and for them to see how happy the woman was. My younger son commented “It was like she won a huge prize.” And I think that for maybe the first time in the year of this project we shared a moment of wonder and joy that kindness can bring.
 I may not have moved spring along any faster, but it was still a little magical.

1 comment:

  1. I am loving the daffodils that are springing up on my school campus. I love being able to see the smile on the persons face that you are being kind too it really is a magical feeling you get. :)

    ReplyDelete