Saturday, March 26, 2011

Kindly Take These Doughnuts

Day 357


Friday I donated blood and for my trouble I received a coupon for a dozen free doughnuts. I immediately knew that they would be use for some type of kind act.

First I thought could bring them to work. However, I am aware that this might not be viewed as kind by my co-workers who were trying to eat healthy and or lose weight. Then I thought I would take them  to a police station as a thank you for the service of the officers. But then I considered that perhaps that would be seen as some type joke, poking fun at the stereotype of police officers always hanging around doughnut shops. And that wouldn't be kind at all.

This afternoon I was at the grocery store getting flowers (because tomorrow is the 27th, Give Flowers to a Stranger Day) and I decided to take a shortcut by just giving someone the coupon. The young man who was the cashier looked like a good choice. He was pleasant and friendly, young and thin. The second part was important because he seemed of the age and build that he wouldn't spend too much time perseverating about calories, carbs, or fat content. “This may seem like an odd question, but do you like doughnuts?” I asked. “Sure” he replied, with just enough enthusiasm that I believed he was telling the truth and not simply being polite. “Then this is for you” I said handing over the coupon. His surprise and appreciation appeared genuine, making it an all around fun activity for me.

Continuing with the top 10 count down of reasons I am glad that I did this blog, in no particular order, number 8:

It feels like a great accomplishment to commit to doing something every day for a year and then actually do it And I'm aware that I'm not done yet, but the chances of me quitting in the next week are pretty slim, so I think it's safe to put this out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment