Thursday, September 2, 2010

All Creatures Great and Small

Day 155

When I started this project, I established some rules about what would be considered an act of kindness for a stranger. I decided that being kind to animals would be included, since my younger son considers that they at least on par with humans. Today I had to decide if insects are were include in the animal category.

I was driving to work when a giant spider started walking across my dashboard. By giant I mean about an inch and a half big. Perhaps that doesn’t seem very big to you, but if it were on your dashboard, you might feel different. It was difficult to keep my eyes on the road and the spider at the same time, but I didn’t want to take a chance that he might take a leap onto the steering wheel. I’m pretty sure spiders don’t leap, but rational thoughts weren’t exactly ruling my mind at that moment.

I didn’t want to kill it, as he had done nothing to deserve that fate and it definitely would not be considered kind. But just because I didn’t want to hurt it didn’t mean I wasn’t jumping out of my skin looking at him. And I was fearing that my split focus, spider/road, could result in someone besides the spider getting hurt.

I rolled down my window and, as if he could read my mind, he crawled out and jumped (or was sucked) to freedom. I hope the landing was soft and he went on to find a home and a family.

Under the circumstances, it was the kindest plan I could muster.

No comments:

Post a Comment