Monday, September 6, 2010

Letting Go for Kindness

Day 159

I spent part of the day sorting through books to donate someplace...I'm not sure where yet. I did a big book donation a about a month and a half ago (The Power of the Deadline) but there are still many more on the shelves. Especially children books. Actually they aren't on the shelves, they are in large purple containers in the basement. They are there because my sons have a VERY hard time letting them go. Occasionally I sneak some out and put them in a donation bin. Inevitably, one or both of the guys will start looking whatever book is missing the day after I do this.

Today I put the power in their hands. Citing our commitment to kindness, I asked them each to pick out 10 books that they were done with so we could donate them where they are needed. They squawked a bit and but went into the basement and each came up fairly quickly with the requested 10 books. I was grateful they were cooperative AND that they didn't point out to me as they very well could have, that it was I who made the year long kindness commitment, and I didn't consult them on it either.

It is hard for my boys to let go their books, even if they know they had outgrown them by several years. I was proud of them today.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know why but, to me, this is a very sweet entry. Generous boys who love their books. I think I like this because the attachment the boys feel towards their books is connected to the generosity of growing up with parents who read to them. Good ju ju... it's lasting. They'll see this is true, maybe even enhanced as they pass on the happiness their selected books gave them.

    SS

    ReplyDelete