Sunday, September 5, 2010

Run Fast Run Kind

Day 158

It was a beautiful day today. Perfect weather. Clear, warm and dry, a ten. I decided to go for a run to get some exercise. I'm not one of those people who loves to run. I've never felt a “runner's high,” and I doubt my endorphin level has ever been elevated while I was pounding the pavement. For the most part, I am miserable for almost every step I take. I do it to stay in shape, and believe it gives me the most “bang for the buck” in terms of calories burned.

So off I went, just wanting to get it over with, and not really caring about the bright blue sky. And for this reason, my being friendly to folks I saw along the way is today's act of kindness. “What an amazing day” I said to the woman working in her garden. “You've got that right!” she replied. “It couldn't be any more perfect today” to the man washing his car. “Without a doubt” he said. I saw about a half a dozen people along my route, and was friendly and upbeat with each of them. And they were all friendly and upbeat right back.

It would be fun to be be able to say that all this positive energy made my running a joy today. I must however, be honest and say that neither kindness nor running raised my endorphin level. But hopefully my efforts to show an positive spirit made a difference to someone I met along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment