Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Cheese Doodle Smile

Day 170

I was at the grocery store today when a woman asked me to help her get some cheese doodles off the next to the top shelf. They were .99 cents, which she considered an excellent deal, so she was stocking up for her grandchildren. Now, I don't consider helping her to be an act of kindness, since she asked for my help and not only would it have been unkind to say no, it would also be considered rude and rather heartless. But my commitment to kindness did help remind me to slow down a bit, and take the time to stop and chat. She and I agreed that all kids love cheese doodles and I confessed that I do too. We also discussed orange dust. Her solution is to allow her grandchildren as many as they want, as long as they stayed seated in one place while eating them. Having exhausted the conversation opportunities involving cheese doodles, we said goodbye and each went our own shopping ways.
the orange dilemma; how to allow cheese doodle eating without the house being covered in
I felt good about today's act of kindness for a couple of reasons. One, I managed to work cheese doodles into a blog entry for the second time in one year (A Cheesy Act of Kindness, August 16). Who would have thought that was possible? But more importantly, I truly enjoyed talking with a stranger and find a commonality as mundane as, yes, cheese doodles. When I walked away I was smiling. I'm happy I could assist the woman in making sure her cupboards were stocked for grandchildren, but I think the true beneficiary of today's act of kindness was me.

No comments:

Post a Comment