Sunday, September 19, 2010

Run and Recycle

Day 173

I ran with my family in a large 5k road race event today, with over 6000 runners participating (and no, I didn't win). With such a large crowd came lots of water bottles, pizza boxes and other waste. There was a group of volunteers from an an environmental organization doing a phenomenal job sorting the recyclables from the trash. It seemed as if they had person posted at every receptacle and recycle bin. These folks were also explaining to people as they deposited their items in the proper place what was recyclable and what was not, that caps on water bottles are now acceptable to recycle in our state.
It was like there was a mini seminar available for anyone who wanted information. I noticed from their tshirts that it was the same environmental group I had written about on Earth Day.

Having gained even more appreciation about this group then when I learned about them in April, I sent off an email when I got home thanking them for their outstanding efforts in the state. And I took made an even greater effort when sorting the trash this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment