Monday, September 27, 2010

GFTAS Day

Day 181

It's the 27th of the month, and you know what that means! Give Flowers to a Stranger Day.


I felt fortunate that GFTAS Day this month was on a Monday. That meant that I could use Sunday to prepare. Yesterday I cut some beautiful fall flowers from my yard and arranged them in a vase that I found tucked away in the basement. I am much better at giving flowers away than making a presentable arrangement, so this took me a considerable amount of time.

Today I knew my destination. There is a nursing home near my work where my aunt lived a number of years ago. My plan was to go and deliver them to a resident in need of some cheer. But when I arrived my emotions snuck up on me. I didn't expect to feel such sadness about missing my aunt. It has been almost 10 years since she passed away, but she was one of those special people who lives on in your heart.

I left the flowers receptionist at the front desk, with instructions to please give them to a resident who didn't often receive such gifts. She seemed surprised; it was clear this was not a common occurance. Perhaps as GFTAS Day catches on, there might be more folks walking with this same request in on the 27th of every month.

***********
The history of Give Flowers to a Stranger Day can be found in these previous entries.

Montly Feature
Flowers For a Stranger
Flowers Anonymous
Controversial Kindness
It's Sweeping the Nation!

The day has also been celebrated on Smiling,Laughing and Loving Life and Love Your Neighbor. They too, have discovered that the joy seems to be shared equally in the giving and the receiving. Give it a try next month and you'll see.

7 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike- I really wanted to just give them to a random stranger I found outside, but I thought of taking my flowers to a nursing home today. So I decided that next month that's what I'll do.

    Sorry that you felt the loss of your aunt strongly today. I'm sure she would love & approve of your choice of place for the flowers today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy, I walked into a nursing home today for GFTAS Day. What?!? Did you mention that in advance? I don't think you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not mention it in advance! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Betsy, I am both pleased and saddened that your Aunt Betty was so present with you today as you ventured into the nursing home. Powerfully good ju ju all around. I'll admit I've yet to GFTAS. I must do it. I think about it often. What's my road block? That's a hypothetical question that I plan to leap over ... maybe even before the 27th of Oct.

    SS

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such an inspiration to me, I just wanted to let you know that I blogged about you today!

    http://yourpartnersinkind.blogspot.com/2010/09/im-still-here.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, GFTAS hits Asheville, NC! Thomas and I participated in our first monthly holiday by giving a young couple strolling down the street a bouquet. We told them, proudly and confidently, that the 27th of every month is NATIONAL GFTAS. They replied: "really?!" I bet they went home and googled it!

    I love your idea of going to the nursing home and will keep it in mind next month. Here's to your Aunt Betty. And my grandmother, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very happy to report GFTAS was celebrated in Florida, Michigan, Rhode Island and North Carolina! And maybe a few places I don't even know about.

    ReplyDelete