Friday, September 24, 2010

Look Out You Might Catch It!

Day 178

My husband and I were supposed to go on a “date” tonight but getting a babysitter to stay in a house where the stomach bug reigns seemed wrong. So my friend and I are going instead and I won't be home until after midnight. Probably the first time I will be up that late in a year or so. My rule is to be kind, but do it before 9pm. This is a long explanation about why I am exceeding my kindness budget this week. I have a self-imposed deadline of committing an act of kindness and posting it by five o'clock.

So with the pressure to act kind quickly, with nothing more creative in sight, I bought a $5.00 gift card when I was getting a coffee, and asked that it be given to the next customer after I left. When I did, I heard a very fun bit of information from the cashier. He said that while he had not experienced this particular act of kindness before, that it is not uncommon for someone using the drive through to buy a coffee for the person in the car behind them. And that when this happens the recipient often then does it for the next person. He said that it has gone on for as many as 10 customers in a row. I found this fascinating and heartening. It seems to be proof that, not unlike the bug that is making it's way through my household, kindness is contagious.

1 comment:

  1. Why were you up so late? Some of us love details....

    ReplyDelete