Sunday, September 26, 2010

Time to Quit?

Day 180

A few weeks ago I wrote about rolling change with my younger son (To Heck With College) to donate to our local animal shelter. Today, seemingly out of the blue, my older son asked if we could roll some of the spare change on my husband's bureau to donate to help Haiti. The conversation went something like this:

Him: “Mom can we put some of dad's change into rolls to help Haiti?”
Me: “Why, is there something that you want?”
Him “No, I just thought it would be nice.”
Me: “Are you sure? Is there something you're going to ask me for when we're done?”
Him: “No, I feel bad about the earthquake and I want to help.”

Well, knock me over with a feather. Kindness seeping out of my family without me suggesting, cajoling or nagging.

So the three of us, my two sons and I, took over the living room floor counting change, making piles and putting it all into paper rolls. My husband's contribution, not to be undervalued, was that he made dinner AND cleaned up after while the boys and I sorted and stacked.

It has been almost six months since I started this project, with six months to go. Today, I am tempted to say, “I'll quit now, I have achieved my goal.” But I made a commitment and I'm sticking with it.

*************

Tomorrow is the 27th of the month, Give Flowers to a Stranger Day. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment