Saturday, September 18, 2010

Whew! No Need for Kindness Here

Day 172

My sons have decided to give karate a try (officially, as opposed to in our basement with me screaming from the top of the stairs “Will you guys be careful, someone is going to get hurt!”). I was watching their class today when another participant, a little boy who looked to be around 6 or 7, was unexpectedly sick. The instructors sprang into action, one strategically moving the class to the other side of the room while another went into cleaning mode. As the boy was directed into the bathroom I looked around for his mom or dad. It appeared that he was on his own.

I jumped up to assist him and asked where his parents were. He seemed to think his mom was outside the building but when I went to look she wasn't there. One of the instructors then told me that she was dropping the boy's sister off at dance class. So I went back to help him get cleaned up, settled down and organized.

The absolute truth is however, he didn't need much help. This was one self-assured and self-sufficient little boy. I was relieved because I'm not actually very good at assisting my own kids in this type of situation, so the thought of helping someone else's was not easy for me. My sons can count on me to rub their backs and to say soothing things but when it starts to get grim, they know enough to moan “It's time to get Dad.” I was happy to remind the boy that he needed to get his shoes on as he waited by the door for his mom to come. That was well within my skill set.

Today I was grateful to be on call for an act of kindness not needed.

2 comments:

  1. For those of you reading this blog who do not know Betsy, please believe her when she says this act of kindness truly was a stretch for her OR rather it could have been if this poor boy had needed more assistance with clean up etc. Betsy, I know you are committed to kindness when you're willing and able to do the clean up, if needed!

    I love this entry!

    SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was certainly easier to be a hero when there was no actual clean up involved.

    ReplyDelete