Saturday, September 4, 2010

Kindness Blowing in the Wind

Day 157

Often the things I write about don't seem like acts of kindness, more like just doing the right thing. Today is one of those days...

This morning I was at the local farmer's market picking up a few things when a gust of the parting Hurricane Earl blew through and sent a flurry of papers from one of the stands flying. The woman running the booth started scurrying around trying to retrieve what had fallen on the ground while simultaneously trying to prevent what hadn't blown off the table from flying away. I dropped my basket and jumped in to help, grabbing whatever weighted objects I could, including a cucumber, a tomato and a jar of jam from my basket to hold down the piles. After we had retrieved all the wayward papers and secured all the piles, I went and scavenged around for some rocks to swap out for my items I had left on the table.

While it seems obvious that of course one should jump in and assist, the fact is that no one but me did. I'm left to believe it was the power of the blog that was the reminder I needed to do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment