Monday, January 3, 2011

Bladder Full of Kindness

Day 279

As I enter the final few months of my year long commitment to kindness, I must admit that, at times, it is hard. Not so much the being kind part, that usually comes easily. But trying to think of something interesting to do every day and hoping for opportunities to present themselves can be wearing.

So when I was in line at the grocery store this evening and I overheard the little boy in back of me say to his mother “Mommy can you tie my shoes?” and she replied “I can't bend over honey, I have to pee really badly” I thought “Dang, I'm in luck!” Which really wasn't a very kind at all.

But going with the theory that kind actions are more important than unkind thoughts, I immediately offered to tie the boy's shoes, giving him the choice of single knot or double (he went with single). And feeling overjoyed at the chance to offer kindness to a stranger, thus being true to the name of this blog, I even gave the woman my space in line so she could get home that much quicker.

Was it kind of me to view one person's misfortune of a full bladder as fodder for the blog. Perhaps not. But I am certain that, self-serving as my actions may have been, they were nonetheless, greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment