Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Honk If You Think I'm Kind

Day 292

I was focusing on driving kindly today. In the city where I work driving is rather hazardous lately because of the snow. Often pedestrians are forced to walk in the street because so many sidewalks aren't shoveled. And pulling out into traffic can be difficult because it is hard to see over the snow banks. Cars must inch their way into traffic in order to see if it is clear to pull out.

Not once, but twice today when I stopped to allow a car to merge into the road, the driver in back of me honked. In my mind I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, that perhaps they couldn't see why I was stopping.

But questions began to nag at me the second time. Is my decision to stop to let a car into the road actually unkind to the drivers behind me? Am I being overzealous in my quest to be kind? Have I lost sight of the rules of the road?

I'm not entirely sure of the answer, but for now, I'll ere on the side of being kind while allowing a few unkind thoughts about the honking drivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment