Sunday, January 2, 2011

Kindness With No Cost

Day 278

A couple years ago we bought year long membership for a brand new indoor sports facility for our kids. Because we were not sure how interested the boys would be, it was a bit of a financial risk for us. They liked it a lot. And for a little over two months, it became part of their routine to go there to use the batting cages. But about halfway into the third month, the place placed closed down, with no notice at all. A sign was put on the door that said they would reopen in the new facility being constructed across the street. Our phone calls and emails went unanswered. A complaint to the Better Business Bureau got us no where either, as their efforts on our behalf were ignored as well.

Six months later when the new facility finally opened and the newly hired manager, JR, was working hard to try to get the place up and running. I showed up at the door. And while I may be writing a blog about being kind, I was a force to be reckoned with when it came to getting back the money we considered to be stolen from us. He said that, while he had not been on staff when the old facility was running, it was his understanding that there were no records, and without a receipt we could not receive a refund. Clearly stuck in the role of the front man in a situation that had preceded him, JR was forced to endure my repeated phone calls and emails (polite as they were) and eventually did get us the refund. And I will always remember how incredibly kind and helpful he was while dealing with a problem that was clearly not of his making.

Fast forward two years, and today I was at the facility to watch my boys in a soccer game. I stopped by the office to ask a question and there was JR. I was happy to have the opportunity to tell him what a great job he was doing running the place and how much I appreciated how he had helped us two years previous. I recalled that his manner had been so pleasant and respectful. He smiled and said “I try,” in a way that made me think he has now has lots more experience dealing with the angry public now than he did then.

Today I was happy to able to share some kind words with someone whom I had crossed swords with in the past and not even ask for one cent in exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment