Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snowed In, But Still Kind

Snowed in today. I was in search of a creative way to be kind to a stranger without actually leaving the house. As often is the case I found a perfect idea on someone else's blog. Sarah, who just started her own year of living kindly and is documenting it on Daily Acts of Kindness, wrote about a great organization she discovered. It's called Random Cards of Kindness which collects and sends homemade cards to children who are hospitalized. What a perfect snow day activity.

Not for me actually, but for my sons, who both happen to be fabulous artists (if I may use this forum to brag). Me, I can't even draw a straight line. They both pitched in to help with my act of kindness for the day, and the cards they made were beautiful. Here is my older son's thoughts on the experience:

Well here's my perspective of the act she did today. I was drawing and I wasn't paying a lick of attention to what my mom was doing for her act of kindness. Then I started asking questions about her act today. She wouldn't give me answers until I helped her. So I ignored her for a while, but my curiosity got the better of me. I asked and she told me about the website she said earlier in this blog. She asked me to make a card. So I made the best card I could do. The title was Have a Day Full of Energy with a lightning bolt on it. I felt great about what I had done. Also I was pretty sad at thinking about a child in a hospital. But away from that overall I am happy about what I did.

Thank you Sarah, for helping us be kind, even in the midst of twenty inches of snow.

2 comments:

  1. Of Course! :) I'm so glad your sons got to participate! It's such a great way to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Older son, My how I loved reading about your contribution of kindness. Your idea about sending a lightening bolt of energy was FANTASTICO! It IS sad that there are children who have to go to the hospital. I truly believe your card will brighten one of those kids' days! I also believe the world is a better place because of you being in it! Your kindness shone through in your words above as well as in your lightening bolt! THANK YOU!
    Filled with gratitude!
    SS (your mom can tell you who I am)

    ReplyDelete