Friday, January 28, 2011

Snow, Coffee and Kindness

Day 301

Is silence golden? Or is it kind to complain?

Yesterday I stopped by my usual coffee place on the way to work. Usually I am there around 7:30 AM but because of the snow storm the night before that dumped over a foot of snow in my area, work opening was delayed a few hours. Every school system in the entire state, except for two, was closed or delayed. It was a slow start to the day all over.

So as I was getting my coffee around 10, I asked the young woman waiting on me what time the shop opened. She replied that they were required to open at the regular time “no matter what” per directive of the district manager. As a result, she got stuck on an unplowed road and was stranded there for a couple hours until a plow driver came by and helped her out. All so folks who wanted their coffee at 6 wouldn't go without in the middle of a huge storm. I found this absolutely appalling.

Today I sent an email to the district manager (whose business card was conveniently located on the counter, inviting customer feedback). I expressed that I found it outrageous and irresponsible that, in pursuit of the almighty dollar, employees were required to drive through a storm when it was obvious no one should be on the road unless it was an emergency. I didn't include my belief that, now matter how much I love coffee, there is no such thing as a caffeine emergency.

I'm fairly certain my opinion and email will have no effect on opening time during the next storm. But it seemed kind to try.

1 comment: